Supporting your Immune System with Essential Oils


Following on from my rant about French Onion soup, and in the midst of writing a Type A Mom article on natural remedies for treatment of colds and the flu, I went back to do a little research on the essential oils we've used in the past for colds and flu. I've always loved working with essential oils but it is something that I've dropped as part of a daily practise. Being sick has reminded me of how effective they are.

As such I thought that I'd share and have in one place for myself the list, because I never seem to find the right page in Valerie Ann Worwood's The Fragrant Pharmacy - a book that EVERY home should have.

To create the following recipes for immune boosting - you need five oils

  • Thyme (red preferrably)
  • Tea Tree
  • Eucalytpus
  • Lemon
  • Lavender
Based on the Handmade Natural price list excluding the thyme (which is a special order item and the price has rubbed off my bottle) you would get change from $40.00 - which is about the cost of seeing a doctor BEFORE filling your perscription. Actually, it's been that long since I last saw a doctor I have no idea what it would cost to see one.

Colds
For hot bath
  • 2 drops of Thyme
  • 2 drops of Tea Tree
  • 1 drop of Eucalyptus
  • 3 drops Lemon

Inhalation
1 drop each of
  • Thyme
  • Tea tree
  • Lavender
  • Clove

Flu
For a warm bath
  • 5 drops tea tree
  • 2 drop lavender
  • 2 drops thyme

After bath
  • 2 drops tea tree
  • 3 drops Eucalyptus
Diluted in a teaspoon of almond oil (or the likes) and rubbed into the body

Teas
Clove and Lavender tea is especially good for helping combat the onset of the flu. Even though ingestion of essential oils is not usually encouraged this particular one is fantastic.

To make, create combined clove and lavender oils at the radio of 1 drop of clove to two drops of lavender in a separate bottle and clearly label.

Put one drop of the clove/lavender mix on a spoon of honey and mix with boiling water. If you don't want to take it with honey (as I do) you can put one drop straight into the water. It tastes quite foul but works a treat.

Image from The Joy of Reflexology

0 comments: